I decided to work on the passenger side spring plate today and it proved to be real difficult to get near the same degree angle as the driver side did.
As with the driver side, I opted for the rubber bushings.
I started the torsion bar on the inner splines that I thought were what I pulled it out at.
It took me forever to get these even close to the 21° 40 that the driver side was. I swear I must have moved the inner splines and outer splines 40 or so times in different combinations to try to achieve that same angle.
With my hips and back killing me, I finally decided that 21° 30 was going to have to be close enough for now, I just couldn’t keep splines.
I got the preload put on the plate and while I got it just onto the chassis’s plate stop, it is not as far back as I think it should be.
I’m fairly certain it is the inner knobby bushing that is the problem, as you can see above. I brought the screws in on the cap as much as possible hoping that the cap would crush the bushing in but there was not enough significant change to make much of a difference.
Now that I’m at least in the ballpark on the splines I’m going to pull it out and try and figure out what is up with the bushing to get it all brought back onto the ledge.
But that will be another day.
Parking Brake Cables
In preparation for the cleaning of the transaxle form and installation of the new disc brakes I needed to pull the E-brake cables out.
It has been many years since I’ve been in this. I was thinking it was Murbella that got new cables but it was actually the 74 that needed to be redone so I’ve never been into this.
They were kind of grimy and a bit difficult to remove but I got them out.
The disc brakes require a different length cable than the OEM drum brake setup so all of this needed to come out.
They look pretty good. I assume they are original but I’m learning that some things are definitely not so who knows. Perhaps I’ll be able to tell once I degrease them.
So I decided I’ll clean up the oil and grime from the transaxle fork area and assorted engine bay before I complete anything else.
I’ll get that cleaned up, then fix the bushing and get the transaxle installed back into place.
1 thought on “Murbella – Day 56 – Passenger Side Spring Plate”