So I got the call from Jim’s Custom VW that the rebuilt transaxle so I made the 6+ hour round trip journey to pick it up, as well as the rebuilt heads.
Based on the invoice details, it looks like ultimately the transaxle was outfitted with the following new parts:
- Pinion Bearing Nut
- Rebushed 1&2 and 3&4 Shift Rods
- 1 & 2 Slider Hub
- 1st Gear Syncro
- 3rd Gear
- Nose Cone Inner Bushing
- Thrust Plate
- Gasket Kit
- Out Drive Seals
I know the 1st Gear Syncro and Slider Hub was probably bad given how it shifted, was not expecting to need a new 3rd gear.
In talking with Jim, he said that there was a lot of odd stuff going on inside.
You may recall that when I delivered it to him, he immediately indicated it was in fact not a 1979 (or 78) transaxle, but one from the prior generation. So right there was indication that Murbella was less a survivor than I originally had though.
Well, it appears that this transaxle was also not original inside, and had been rebuilt, improperly at that, sometime in the past. The wrong sychros were used, and there were some other oddities. It has all been sorted out with the above new parts.
The 3rd gear had a gouge in it, so he went ahead and replaced it.
I have him deep clean the 41 year old heads and then insert new exhaust valve guides. I supplied the new valves since these heads are the FI kind with the oddball sizing but had him do a full valve job on them.
The heads have their new valves, springs, keepers, retainers, etc.
As was expected, new exhaust valve guides were needed. There was some minor internal problmes with this exhaust insert, but Jim indicated it should not be a problem. He sanded it down somewhat and it is seated properly and should not cause any issues.
I may try to clean them up a bit more. But the new valves are in, with a 5 angle valve job, I will not have to lap them so these heads are basically ready to go once the cylinders and pistons are in.
They look night and day over what I gave him.