Engine – Day 10
Unfortunately, I need to built my cranks veristically which I am not a fan of. I really need to figure a way to weld a gland nut to a flange so I can mount it horizontally to my workbench to built and torque that way.
Now my goal today was to try to determine which rods worked best on each journal, as I’ve run into situations in the past with some rods just fitting better on some journals.
I had to swap #1 and #3 but the rotate smoother.
I need to redo my plasticgauge test on #3 rod since I accidentally rotated when removing it and smudged it. However, I am pretty sure it will fit into the .002 clearance.
While they all rotate, they don’t rotate as smoothly as I want and they aren’t even torqued to full spec.
That torque spec is proving to be an issue, as I realized that these came with 200K bolts that I’ve never used before so I’m not 100% certain how to install them. They are kind of like ARP bolts, but ARP 2000 bolts were an upgrade so they are not exactly the same. At least I don’t think so.
I’m having a hard time determining anything online, as there are just too many results returned with none of them clearly indicating anything.
If I need to buy special lube (like needed for ARP bolts) to deal with the torqueing I’m going to be a bit pissed. Once again, my fault for not using stock reconditioned rods.
I assume the final torque will be between 25 and 29 ft/lbs but the use of the lube is something I’m not familiar with since these were not labeled ARP, I did not assume I would need to do anything unique.