Engine – Day 10
So the bearings needed to be checked to confirm placement of the oil gallery of the bearing against the oil supply hole in the saddle.
There is enough disparity between the bearings available today as well as the machining of the oil gallery holes in the case that can constrict oil flow to the bearings. And of course, that would be disastrous.
#1, #3, and #4 bearings were scored to help with final alignment once they are installed on the crankshaft.
I used the prussian blue at the oil holes so that the compression of the bearing onto it would show fitment and placement of the hole onto the bearing.
#1 Main Bearing was the worst. You can clearly see above the arc of the hole where the bearing’s surface covers the oil flow.
#3 main was not as severe as #1. #2 also showed a bit of coverage.
I didn’t do the best possible job but I notched #1 enough so that the oil should flow into the groove a lot better. Yeah, the dremel got the better of me in some areas.
#2 main needed a little bit of clearance as well.
#3 was also pretty minimal.
I lightly sanded the surfaces to debur anything and cleaned them up.