Engine – Day 3
I pulled out 2 possible sets of lifters that might go into the new engine. What I did forget to do was clean up one of the originals pulled from the AJ case to weigh and compare to these new ones.
So I recently purchased a set of AA 28mm Lightweight Lifter Set “With Oil Holes”. I had originally planned on using a set of new Brazilian lifters that I purchased previously for the rebuild and I haven’t quite determined which ones will ultimately go into the 2020 new build.
Now the so-called “lightweight” lube-a-lobe lifters actually weigh several grams more than the Brazilian ones. The are all about 104 grams while the Brazilians are almost all 95 grams. That’s a pretty big difference. I’ll need to pull out a VW original one to see what it weighs in at, though of course it has 41 years and 137K miles on it.
Camshaft & Cam Gear
So the plan remains to upgrade to the 2280 Eagle Racing Camshafts (Cheater Cam) that I bought which should be a very small upgrade in terms of horsepower and torque.
The cam gear is new from AA Performance Products. The cam itself came with the bolts and even some Cam Shield, though I did order more to have on hand for the this and the other engines.
I’d love to know what all these markings mean.
I expected a clear 2280 identifier.
Now I still need to look up the torque specs for the bolts. I have a another set of bolts left over from a prior build but I’ll just go with these since they came with the cam.