I started the bearing work today, making sure that the oil passages conform to the bearings oil holes, as well as doing a small mod to the thrust bear cam saddle to allow for the tang of a double-thrust bearing to fit.
The Silverline set of double thrust cam bearings basically duplicates 2 identical thrust bearings.
However, this presents a problem as there is no indent on the cam saddle for the 2nd tang.
You can remove the tang from the bearing or notch the case to create an insertion point for the tang.
I opted for the later, using a small file to make enough space so the bearing will set flush in the case, fully locked in.
Working with the main bearings, I started scribing them to note their placement in the saddles, as well as making identifying marks for where the dowel pin is located.
It was during this placement that I noticed I have potential problems with the case as it is.
#2 bearing does not line up properly in the saddle (above). It locks in, but it does show some tiny bit of play.
Number 3 bearing shows signs that the saddle is out-of-round, and that 41 years of driving have taken a toll on the saddle surface, making it more oblong than round.
I’m going to need to consult with some people on this.
I’m pretty certain that when I first built the AH engine case, and then especially the new case I bought in 2019, that the bearings fit in very tight, almost “clicking” in to their saddles.
I’m not looking forward to the answers I’ll get.
I’m pretty much assuming they’ll confirm I need to get the case to a machine shop for an align bore.
That means more money, and then more money for new bearings sized for the machine work.