So I’ve a lot of the tins soaking in solvents the past few days to try and get the oily residue off of them.
The heat exchanger tins were exceptionally bad, with layers of oil and dirt on them, and the undersides of the cylinder tins were pretty bad as well. Oh. And the 2 small bottom tins.
I sat there for about an hour today, scrubbing them up with a brush and steel wool, using the solvent to continually wash of the residue.
And for the most part, what I did cleaned up well. But by the gods! Those heater tins are like brand new!
After all these years I didn’t even realize that they were not black like so many earlier years. They look like they were possibly zinc-plated metal.
I assume this may be due to the FI engines running somewhat hotter and the high-heat paints being less durable back in the late 70s.
I realized after all the solvent evaporated that I did not have a bin that I could just wash them with Purple Power to get the remaining dirt and residue off of them.
I ran to Lowes and got a new one so I’ll have that for tomorrow’ work.
The valve covers are the worst, and in fact look like they had rusted badly some time in the past and someone just repainted over the rust instead of sanding it down.
They look pretty shitty, so I’m debating about getting an aftermarket set for now while I put these aside to have media blasted in the future.
I did not notice it before but the 1/2 cylinder tin also has damage at the screw that holds it down to cylinder 2. I’ve seen this happen on so many old engine tins. I’d say this is as common as the heat tin mounting points being damaged all the time.
I picked up some VHT high-temp satin black paint and a high-temp satin top coat paint.
I’ll wash these up tomorrow and possibly start sanding. Or just wait until I have the alternator off the fan shroud and do all the tins at one time.