To be frank, I probably didn’t need to go this far.
However, every time I put a brush or swab down into the oil galleries they continued to come back dirty so I went ahead and pulled only the plugs necessary for oil cleaning, as well as the two other small ones at the rear in case I decide to attempt the Hoover Mods.
I had kind of forgotten how dirty this job is. And labor intensive too to do it by hand in a garage.
The plugs all pulled out easily using the drilled in screw and my slide hammer.
Once started, it all came back to me what a pain in the ass this actually is.
Now I’ve drilled and tapped them all. Some are complete to where I want the plug and others may need 2-3 more turns of the tap
I did mess up 1 of the rear small ones on the 3/4 side that is used during manufacture to drill the oil connections between the lifters on that side. It is just set in too much. Not the end of the world, as it doesn’t impact anything. I didn’t set the 1/2 side in deep enough so I may need to turn that 1 or 2 more times.
If that 1/2 cam oil gallery wasn’t so risky, I’d do this on every engine and spend the time doing the full mods, with all the delicate dremel cuts on the rocker arms and all.
I probably have about another 20 minutes of tapping adjustments to do in the morning.
However, my hand and fingers are killing me from doing this manually so I’m done for the night.