With the last of the top parts of the engine off, it was on to the long block disassembly.
The pressure plate doesn’t look too worn, just dirty.
The clutch looks fine. I’ve seen far worse and dangerously bad ones in the past.
Once all the clutch items were off I was shocked to see an 8 dowel flywheel.
Right off that bat, the indicates there was far more work done back here than just a clutch replacement. And look at the red sealant.
Now when I originally saw this, I figured this was a definite sign of there being an 8 dowel crank installed. However…
Nope. It is a 4 dowel OEM crank in it.
Now one of the things that shocked me was that main seal here is clean. There’s no oil.
For the longest time I thought a lot of the oil all over the rear was coming from the main seal but it clearly is not.
Lower Heat Tins
I fully expected the lower tins to be difficult to come off but my girl didn’t give me any pain. The screws removed easily from this side. The tins are filthy though. None of my prior engines had such dirty tins.
Now I still need to split these before cleaning. Hopefully these screws won’t cause me any problems. I can’t risk any damage to these tins as FI tins are slightly different.
Now the 3/4 side has the damage that existed before I removed the heat exchangers. The connection point is broken off and I need to find someone who can do just about an inch of weld to put these 2 pieces back together.
This side is even dirtier. The amount of oily mess is astounding and I don’t know if this is from the last time the engine was dropped or cumulative.
This is where the front heat exchanger mounting point should be. So sad. But at least I didn’t cause it.
I can now work on breaking down the long block to the short block.