Since it has been a little less than year since she last drove, I didn’t expect to find fresh oil in the bellhousing and I did not.
However, there’s quite a bit of gunk at the bottom and I fully expect to find the main seal leaking once I get the flywheel off the engine.
There’s noting obvious on the engine side, and the pressure plate appears clean as well as the flywheel teeth.
I’d love to be able to find someone to resurface the flywheel but it would probably be cheaper to just buy a new fresh one given there’s no VW-centric machine shop around. I may ask the 2 vendors I got quotes form on the transaxle repairs if they can do it.
Everything looks more or less as I expected here inside the bellhousing. You can see the gunk at the base a bit better.
The two rear transaxle mounts don’t look horrible but both will be replaced at reinstallation.
I’ve been told to avoid polyurethane for Type 1 transaxle mounts on many occasions so I’m sticking with rubber.
I will probably leave the transaxle in until I have a scheduled time and vendor chosen. I see no point getting this ugly dirty thing out now just to have it sit to the side or under the car.
It still needs to be fully drained, then I’ll power washer it just to keep the cars clean when traveling with it.