The undercoating was always going to be removed from the suspension parts and rear chassis. Well, as much of it as I can remove!
I decided to try my usual mineral spirits solvent parts cleaning methods to see what kind of impact soaking will do on whatever product was sprayed all over everything.
I had already been soaking the stub axle to try and get the grease and grime off of the CV joint mount area. I was hoping this would soak in and maybe help remove the spacer that is stuck on the shaft but that still hasn’t happened.
I started on the torsion bar tune portion of the spring plate in the same solvent.
I am really hoping a day or two soaking will make scraping off the undercoating a simple affair. I’ll know by Friday if this will work or if I’ll have to clean up the oil and grime, dry everything of the solvent, then get to work with sand papers, grinders, wire brushes, etc.
The spring plate cover is soaking as well. While they do make aftermarket stock covers, I really want to reuse as much as possible if I can.
That’s really why I’m hesitant to use a lot of force on any part or system.
This is the first time I’ve done this and this isn’t just a minor endeavor. This is full assembly break down, cleaning, prep, restore and then reinstall.
At least I know in a day or two how I need to move forward and if I’ll need to get a new higher BTU heat gun or more propane tanks.