I started the rather process of removing the brake drum assembly to get to the main bearing hub.
You can tell how little driving I did in 2018 and 2019 as the rear bakes have almost no dust and as still extremely clean from when I redid them 2 years ago. I remember how filthy the previous set was when I bought her and took off the drum.
The pads are still good. I’m still not sure if I’ll put her original backing plates and these whole assemblies into her original parts bin. I doubt I’ll ever go back to rear drums but it may be good to keep these and the e-brake.
Everything came off quickly but the stub axle could not be pushed from the housing and bearings.
It is a friction interference fit but I could not get it to come out.
I tried multiple blows with some mid-size rubber mallets and it does not want to move a millimeter out.
I am not yet ready to hit it with the metal hammers yet.
Now I tend to be far more careful with trying to break down old classic car parts and I probably did not apply enough force.
There’s there part of me that just does not want to risk any damage to anything that I plan on reusing so I error on the side of caution.
I removed the shock as well.
I had put this on new 3 years ago so it doesn’t have much in the way of miles in it either.
The spring plate is set at 13.40 degrees without the body and engine weight.
Given out steep the driveway is and how I often scrape the tail pipe going in and out, I doubt I can lower her rear end without seriously risking more exhaust damage.
1 thought on “Murbella – Day 4 – Hub Disassembly”