So I decided to take advantage of 2 stores’ sales to get the bulk of what I need for my 2020 Murbella work. Ultimately I ended up having to source from 4 stores since I wanted a better solution for the future rear brake lines.
I got the bulk of my parts from California Import Parts:
- Rear shock tower pad/axle supports
- EMPI Rear Deluxe Disc Brake Kit with E-Brake
- CV Joint OE German 69-79 x 4
- German Made Axle Bearing Cap Bolts x 2
- IRS Rear Sway Bar
After researching the various rear disk upgrades over the past 2 years, I ultimately decided to just go with the basic EMPI rear kit but will be doing the setup with modified parts from Topline Parts.
I’m going with their special stainless steel brake line kit instead of the whole needing longer metal lines for the rear. This will also eliminate rubber lines from Murbella for any brake-related system. I already upgraded her master cylinder 2 years ago to handle the greater pressure need. They were also the only place I could find a basic set of the special concave serrated spring washers for the axle restoration. (I’m shocked that the various other kids don’t seem to even include these.)
Wolfsbürg West ultimately had full new hardware kits for the spring plates as well as new hardware for the torsion bar covers. I figured that the existing hardware has been on 41 years and there’s a pretty big risk of damage since I have to get all that undercoating off of the pieces. I was going to use the existing stuff but frankly, I can save a whole lot of time (and my fingers) but just installing new hardware than having to detail clean all this.
From SoCalParts I sourced the remaining major parts:
- Bearing Kit for IRS
- Axle Bearing Spacer Kit
- German CV Axle Boot Kit with Hardware
Even though I may not need every little piece, I do like when I can get full kits with everything needed like the Bearing Kit without sitting there and making sure I include every item (and quantity) of things.
I went with the more expensive German pieces and parts when I could, especially for the new CV joints and even the CV boot kits.
I could have saved a shitload of case going with economy CV joints, but if I am going to spend the hours disassembling Murbella’s original ones, I may have put the best I can afford back in her.
Knowing that there’s some play in her driver side axle assembly, I opted to just invest in all new bearings for both sides as well as new bearing spacers.
With the exception of the special modded rear steel brake line kit from Topline, I will admit it is frustrating that solid full kits and items are not available from just 1 vendor. Sure I’d prefer it to be CIP1 given the fact the free shipping makes a massive difference.
Now of course, I could come across some other things I’ll need as I disassemble, especially on the engine side, but I already purchased over the last few years most of what I will use to finish this all off:
- Complete FI seal, hose, line, and clamp kit (from German Supply in Canada)
- New Firewall Tarboard
- New decklid rubber seals
- New engine bay seals
That’ll hopefully only leave the additional costs associated with the still to be determined gearbox synchro repair as well as the injector cleaning from Injector Repair.
So far, I am not getting any responses from the people I’ve emailed regarding the transaxle work.
1 thought on “Fun with sourcing parts.”