Now that it has been around 55°F (12.7°C) the past few days… well… at least during the day… the urge to start working outside has hit me and there has to be a few achievable goals for 2020.
There’s key work that needs to be completed that was started in 2019 as well as some major and minor work on Murbella.
The “New” 1600cc Stock Plus Engine
So the engine I built last year needs to be finished and whatever problems are going on with idle and timing worked out. While the cam has had some initial break-in, it is definitely not broken in enough.
I think I’m going to tear down the ICT 34 clones again and go over everything to make sure the bowls are correct. I’ve been gathering up research on the best way to do this.
Yes, I bought that 34 Pict 3 carb to throw on it, but the Scat C20 carb needs a bit more “umph”. Aircooled.net’s description of the cam states “This cam is similar to the Engle FK-41 grind, which is is a great cam for engines with dual 1bbl carbs… Powerband is from off-idle to 4000. It is very easy on the valve train too, only requiring HD Single Springs and Bolt On Rocker Shafts, and works with 1.1 or 1.25 rockers… it works best with Compression from 7.5-8:1.” so I’m thinking of revisting the 1bbl duals. If I can get the engine running reliably I’ll be happy and can get it back into Żuczek to really break it in.
It would be great to have it all running and fully broken in by end of April.
The Wood Frame
I can’t call it a rotisserie but I’ve been planning out the wooden frame I’m going to build to hold the body up and above the chassis once it is removed. This’ll allow the car to take up the same space in an already space taxed garage and driveway.
I’m going to make it so it can sort of collapse too if needed, but that’s more just trying to optimize how much space it takes up.
So maybe, just maybe, this will the final thing during Autumn before Winter hits.
The AJ Engine Refresh/Repair
I can’t do much with Murbella without repairing here engine.
The plan was always to drop her AJ engine and clean it up, replace her push rod tubes, repaint her tins, have her FI cleaned up as well as her injectors, and overall give her love. However the fuel spewing out of the 1/2 cylinder fuel lines pushed her close to catching fire so now it is a refresh & repair task.
I still don’t know the source of the fuel but given that most of it appears on the passenger side implies the 1/2 cylinder fuel delivery area is the problem. Could be as simple as an o-ring or possibly a fuel line.
I hope that it is simple as that.
She’ll get new engine bay tar boards as well.
Rear Disc Brakes
The plan was to redo her rear brakes to disks last year but that never happened so now will be the time to do that, especially with the engine out. I’ll be able to really inspect the line over the transmission to the T and give her a sound cleaning.
I am thinking of redoing her rear wheel bearings and possibly redoing and re-greasing all of her axle joints.
She really needs to have her torsion bars checked and those bushings are probably in need of replacement. With the engine out, doing all this other rear work might be the best time.
Lower Front 2″
I ended up keeping the lowering struts I purchased originally for the 74. I was thinking out lowering her a bit both front and rear, but my biggest fear is our driveway’s angle. I think she’d look great with just a bit of lowering as well as slightly larger tires, but we’ll see. Changing her stance does nothing if I can’t get her up the driveway.