So I accidentally cracked the base of a cylinder yesterday which more or less put everything on hold again in terms of assembly. A new set is on order and I learned my lesson the hard way.
Tin Paint and Repaint
I decided to pass the time waiting for the new set to arrive by pulling out all of the tins I previously started last autumn as well as the new tins that needed to be painted or top coated.
I realized that my rear tin, while it is missing the fresh air holes, has the heat riser cut outs. This was purchased way back before deciding on going to dual carbs. I can swap this to the AE engine in the 72 since I’ll be taking the heat exchangers off that car when I pull that engine to put into the 74. I got a new one on order that is what is needed.
I knew I was not perfect in my painting last autumn so I sanded down some of the blemishes on the top cylinder tins, especially the 2 and 4 sides since those are visible and did another 2 coats on them.
I really am not a fan of chrome. I prefer a more stainless steel or brushed metal look. However, I got this chrome coil holder for like $3 so I roughed the chrome up and it will get painted the same cast iron steel color as the other top tin.
The top cylinders were painted, the doghouse “outlet” and hoover bit got painted, and I put a top coat on the under cylinder Type 3 tines I’ll be using for this build.
Tomorrow I’ll sand again if necessary, respray or top coat, and do some resprays on the fan shroud. I cleaned up and derusted the small tins that fit inside the cylinder heads themselves. I need to get those painted. What is odd is I have 2 thermostat ones and I only recall the AH engine’s original heads even having these tins on them but I don’t recall them both having the thermostat rod cut out. Very odd.
CIP1 has a 30% off sale going on so I picked up some Bosch oil filters that fir the remote adapter. I still need to get a cheaper one to run during the initial start-up and break-in as I’ll end up just throw that out rather quickly before I even get the engine in a car.
I should have my son take the adapter into his shop to see which STP ones fit. He gets a pretty decent discount on consumables so I may as well take advantage of that when I can.
I picked up the other brass fitting for the oil pump’s output plate so I’m now good there.
I also picked up this really cheap EMPI merged “economy” extractor exhaust (below). I would never run this on any of my actual cars as my sense of symmetry requires some kind of pea shooters sticking out under the apron, but I figured I needed something to throw on the AE engine in the 72 when I put it into the 74 for sale so this may as well be it.
No idea what this sounds like. I don’t expect it to have much longevity, but I’ll sand it down and put a few coats of high temp paint on it to see if it will last longer than most EMPI mufflers.