So I’m following the Wilson guide on checking the initial deck height and I read the info incorrectly. Or more accurately, I read it literally.
The books goes in to setting up 1 mocked up piston and cylinder at TDC but it states to not bother doing it with the rings on the pistons, or sealant, etc. as it is just a basic mockup for depth.
So I took that as to remove the rings and the 2nd one broke.
It was only after this that I really thought about it, and realized that this book was written in 80s and I assume he was referring to using piston sets that don’t come pre-assembled with the rings on like they do today in piston and cylinder “kits”. No doubt he was referring to not putting them on (in the first place) to do the mock up.
So by assuming I needed to remove them, I ended up breaking one ring and now cannot use this until I get a replacement ring.
Now the only other piston and cylinder set is a high quality Mahle 85.5mm stock one I purchased for Murbella’s refresh.
Now I have no intention of even starting the Murbella refresh until late Autumn. I’m thinking that I can just drop this engine from the original planned 87mm (1641cc) minor upgrade and just keep it as stock using this set. I can then use one of the many later autumn sales to buy a new set for Murbella. I can then just buy a replacement ring and use the 87mm ones on either the AH long block or the AR long block. I didn’t have any sets for those engines anyway yet as they weren’t a necessity.
The new cam, new ratio rocker arms, and the new dual carbs will be a substantial increase in performance that I don’t think the minor displacement change will make much of a difference.
This build was always supposed to be “stockish” anyway, and since the 87mm pistons did not require any case or head machining I went with it.