So after some serious thought yesterday and today, I’ve decided to go in a slightly different direction for the AH engine rebuild that I’ve been working on.
I decided that since I bought a brand new AS41 case in November 2018 I may as well truly build a 100% 0 mile engine, since 95% or more of the parts are new.
There’s very little I need to do to prep the new case, and I won’t do much in the way of the mods that I was doing on the AH rebuild. Theoretically, this will only set me back a few days.
So all I need to do with this case now is…
- Drill and tap the main oil return galley.
- Clean up and polish some of the casting bits.
- See if I can easily mod the Type 3 oil dipstick block off plate to hold the VDO oil temperature sensor I purchased.
- Give it a good solid washing.
- Install the missing oil pump bolds and assorted other case parts.
That’s pretty much it.
I can then pop the AH short block open and transfer the bearings, gears, crank, and cam to this new case, which should take no more than a few minutes.
The only things that will be reused from the AH engine are the push rods and distributor pinion gear. That’s about it! Hell, I may be able to hone that new distributor pinion gear a bit and get it to move smoothly in the case.
I’m pretty sure this is the right direction for me to go.
I’m glad I gave it more thought.
Believe me… I was already starting to think this way last week but had invested so much time in prepping and modding the AH case.