So I completed all I’m going to be doing of the minor mods to the case. There are some that I do not yet possess the skill (or tools) to make but I fell confident I have not screwed anything up.
I ran the taps through all of the gallery holes again to make sure they were deburred as much as possible and also took a file to some of the areas I felt needed to be smoother.
I ported the oil return hole behind at the crankshaft seal both internally and externally which, if I’m reading correctly, will work with some of the other basic front to back metal removal mods to help prevent oil pressure bursting the seal and help with potential leaks.
Emory tape was used to clean up some of the last remaining bits of the previous build’s gaskets and sealants that had yet to come off.
There was still some old sealant and some oxidation on the various bolt threads so I wire brushed them and used the emory tape to clean them up as best as I could get them.
More air blown through and then mineral spirits and brushes, including recleaning all of the galleries and supply areas that feed crank and cam.
And then the fun really began when I took the case inside the house and used my kitchen sink to thuroughly wash everything with hot soapy water.
I don’t think it is worth any more effort to try and clean the case internally or externally, as most degradation is due from the allow changing color over almost 45 years.
The case can now try and it’ll be in the state it needs to be in to begin installing the plugs and start the assembly of the crankshaft.